The original Miss Jones

Monday 6 July 2009

Pondering the future.



This will be my tutor for next term at UWN. His name is Goff Morgan and I met him for the first time this morning. Hmmm, what do I think? Certainly different to the outgoing tutor.

I obviously know who he is, he was Newport's Official Poet from 1997 - 2000 and he has broadcast on BBC Radio Wales since 1991, currently speaking to the nation every Friday morning as part of the BBC Wales 'Here For You Events'.

The first noticeable thing about him is that he is loud. His speaking voice is loud and projects across the room. He trained as an actor, perhaps that's why. He could be Newport Uni's answer to Brian Blessed!

The next module is Poetry and Prose (what a surprise!). I do not have the slightest interest in writing poetry and a few of us voiced that thought this morning. He explained that it can be a balance either way. Either 75% Prose and 25% Poetry (which is my preferred option) or the other way about. But there is no doubt where his leaning is. He has a reputation among other students of being sloppy, not in his tuition, but on the marking side. How much notice we should take of that I do not know. I feel disinclined to work at the level I have been working at for a non-appreciative tutor, but he is a literary man and should, in theory, be interested in all aspects of the course.

The requirement of my acceptance at UWN is that I do a minimum of two terms in an academic year. I have some serious thinking to do over the summer holidays. I would like to continue to write, but poetry?

No comments: