The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Pottery Painting.


Hobby ceramics is a very different way of relaxing and at the same time creating something to keep, perhaps to give for a present or to mark an occasion. It is also a way to meet new friends in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere; and as in my case today in lovely surroundings.


I chose a milk jug to paint today, but had to choose something for the rest of the summer. I am going to do some pottery figures for my Christmas nativity.


I have been planning for months now to create my own nativity scene for next Christmas. I want to make the stable and the manger myself and was wondering about the figures. The original plan was to take the next five months or so looking around charity shops and car boot sales for them but how much more satisfying to make them. This is not possible in my regular pottery class as I have asked about it. They don't have the mould, but this place 'Crafty Ideas' will make the moulds, they make all their own to order. They make the mould and you get to use it afterwards.


These people, he is a wood turner and she is a 'crafty lady' much like myself, have got a really good thing going here in Newport. They have created their own professional craft barns, all done to building regulations, loo's and a kitchen, plus a room for kilns and firing, and one for storing hundreds of moulds. Their house, by comparison, looks small to what they have created around it, but it is a normal detached house in an ordinary road. A bit of forward thinking there at some point in time.


A great morning was had by all and I was lucky to get in as they are usually full. I was very envious of their set up I have to admit! Ahhh ... in another life!

No comments: