The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 30 September 2009

Madam Butterfly

This really was a spectacular, much-loved staging of Puccini's deeply moving opera that we saw tonight in the Millennium Centre, Cardiff. This is my almost favourite opera, my favourite being Bizet's Carmen. I have seen them both previously, but many years ago. I saw the Welsh National Opera perform them both then and , if anything, this production tonight was more spectacular!


This story of love, hope and betrayal in the Japan of a century ago was brought alive by some fabulous voices, not just from the soloist but the chorus also. This was my first visit the the Millennium Centre and I was impressed. I still fail to see why people rave about Cardiff Bay itself though, as the parts of it I have seen are very uninspiring and bordering on scruffy - definitely a place for the young. However, that did not detract from the wonderful evening , with world class performances tonight.


The WNO are going on tour now but will be back in Cardiff in February and guess what they will be staging - Carmen! A must for me I think!

No comments: