The original Miss Jones

Saturday 18 April 2009

'Your wish is my command ! .....'

My £1 acquisition.

Speaking to my sister some weeks ago about the forthcoming term at UWN - children's writing - she suggested I read 'Treasure Island' by Robert Louis Stevenson, giving this as a fine example of characters, descriptive work and atmosphere. I haven't read it since I was a young girl, and even then I am not sure I finished it, but I have seen many TV adaptations.

While out shopping in the week, I saw a charity book stall in an outdoor market, and there on the table was 'Treasure Island' just waiting for me to buy it. I handed over my £2 (£1 for Treasure Island and £1 for another book) and took it home to read. I haven't put it down! I finished it last night. It has certainly inspired me in descriptive writing and the characters are wonderful, but I need a plot for my own story, although something is forming in my head.


Map created by Robert Louis Stevenson.


My brief for next term is 'contemporary and descriptive writing'. This book is about pirates and buried gold, a blind man and an amputee, it doesn't get more contemporary that that. A huge thank you to my lovely sister who has changed my thought process. I was locked into witches and wizards! (I will keep those thoughts for another time).

The title to this Blog 'Your wish is my command ...' is for my sister, who very many years ago gave me a poetry book by Christina Rossetti. I had nagged her for a whole weekend to give it to me and when she did she wrote on the fly leaf:

Your wish is my command !

With love from your sister.

October 5th 1990.

x.

Whenever she and I talk about books, I always see that inscription in my head. That book is one of my treasured possessions and a wonderful introduction to poetry.

Now, off to read book number two. 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' - and no, my sister didn't recommend that, this one is my choice! Another one skimmed through in my adolescence. Mmm ....

No comments: