The original Miss Jones

Monday 20 April 2009

Coffee and gardening ...

My free bag of coffee compost

I went into Starbucks for a coffee with a friend on the weekend. In a basket just in front of the door were these bags of coffee grounds for gardeners, so I picked one up as they were free. I have heard of tea bags and tea leaves being left to compost but not coffee grounds.



Sitting at the base of my newly planted Rosemary.


It transpires that they are very good for the garden. I have encircled mine around the newly planted herbs before I water tonight, but they are equally good to throw on the compost heap. It seems they slowly release nitrogen and act as a fast acting liquid fertilizer when watered, and they also help to repel pests.


It seems coffee grounds can also be mixed with soil for houseplants and are very good for digging into vegetable beds. The thing that amazed me about it is that I thought it would look like coffee grounds, but this just looks like good quality compost. I think another trips to Starbucks is required to find out more about how they are doing this - and to see if there is any more on offer of course!

No comments: