The original Miss Jones

Thursday 23 April 2009

A round of gras !


Asparagus Festival Evesham - 23rd April - 7th June 2009.


I don't often dwell on the past, it doesn't do; However this morning on Radio 4 I heard actor Trevor Harrison (Eddie Grundy in the Archers) talking about the Evesham Asparagus Festival which commences today. It was a huge thing in my life when I lived in the Cotswold's. I got lots of bookings for the Guest House from this festival and sometimes I went to have a look around the festival on the days when I could get away from the business. It was also a very happy time for me.

The locals say that sandy soil and a mild climate in Worcestershire is why their local asparagus is considered the best in the world and why it has been so for many years. I don't know about that, but what I do know is that on the last Sunday of the festival there is an asparagus auction in one of the local churches. It was great fun from memory and the asparagus was great too.

Not far away from Evesham in a small place called Bretforton. The local pub there is called 'The Fleece'. It is a wonderful example of how pubs were in the past. It is now owned by the National Trust, but the food was always superb, well worth a visit for lunch if you are in the area.

Back to the present and must grab a shower. Friend Bee is coming over shortly and we are off out for a few hours - must get changed!

No comments: