The original Miss Jones

Sunday 16 November 2008

Pause for Thought!

Palace Theatre Pantomime, Ebbw Vale 1952

As the season of pantomime approaches I thought back to my own childhood when every year we were taken to a pantomime. When my father moved from Sirhowy brickwork's in Tredegar to work at Richard Thomas & Baldwins (RTB's) in Ebbw Vale all the children of the staff & workers could go to the Pantomime as guests of RTB's.

What a thrill! A bus came and picked us up in Tredegar and took us the four miles or so over to Ebbw Vale to the Pantomime. We watched enthralled as the story was played out before us. The costumes, the lights and the principal boy (who was really a girl) it was all so exciting.

Seeing the posters go up in the city for the forthcoming productions in various theatres always make me think of those magical days ...going to the Ebbw Vale Panto!

I wonder is there the same thrill and anticipation in the children of today when they are taken to a Pantomime ....in this age when treats are all year around things and the 'ask and you shall get'
culture is rife. It makes me glad I grew up when I did. It gave me the values that I still hold and live to, right to this day.

No comments: