The original Miss Jones

Friday 14 November 2008

Catholicism - Food for Thought

Truly, truly, I say to you,
unless you eat the flesh of the son of man
and drink his blood,
you have no life in you .......
Jn.6: 53

Catholicism, a subject that I know very little about but feel I want to explore it in my mind.

Each time I have been to the Catholic Church, whether it is for a service or social event, I have always come away impressed and thoughtful. There is a definite difference in attitude to that of Anglicans.

I would like someone to explain the Catholic faith to me from a Catholic perspective, clarifying and explaining misconceptions formed by non-Catholic faiths. I don't know why I want to know this; it is all to do with observation of their worship and attitude to God I think.

I am not considering converting to Catholicism as I am not sure enough about the Catholic faith, but I am honest enough with myself to admit I am curious. This curiosity goes back further than the last few years, when I have become very disillusioned with the Anglican Church, it goes back to the 1980's when my Aunt, whom I loved dearly, converted to Catholicism when in her 80's. What made her do it? Did she understand something I am missing?

This subject is of interest to many I am sure, and there are many negative opinions around, I wish I knew more about it. I would like to examine both sides of the issue of Catholicism v Anglicism, a comparison if you like, without prejudice and with an open heart would be a way forward I am sure.

Why so reflective at this point in time ....I wish I knew the answer.

No comments: