The original Miss Jones

Tuesday 11 November 2008

The Grass is Singing - Doris Lessing


From time to time my sister who lectures in literature at Kingston and Reading Universities, suggests I read a book. Now I read all the time, but not what she calls real literature. Sometimes I am receptive to this and sometimes more reluctant as, like most people, I like to choose my own reading material.

It must be nearly a year since 'The Grass is Singing' was suggested to me and I struggled with it at the time. However, a few weeks ago I decided to give it another go. I finished it last night. I cannot say I enjoyed it any more this time around, maybe more a case of understanding it a bit better.

The storey is set in Rhodesia and it tells of a failed white farmer and his wife who is a town girl. Mary hates farming, life in the bush and is unhappily married. Sapped by heat and extreme poverty she becomes frightened of life outside her home and becomes slightly unbalanced. She isolates herself from her neighbours therefore becoming very lonely; she turns to Moses, the black cook, in whom she finds kindness and understanding.

The description of Africa's beauty is a superb backdrop to the life of people whose lives are punctured by the horror of murder. The cruelty of colonialism becomes seductive to that ere and palpable to the reader themselves. A superbly written book, and an excellent storey. However, I often found it hard to read, and not truly understanding the politics that make the book work I found I could not read more than three or four pages at a time. I persevered though, and eventually got through the book. If anyone is into that kind of feminist literature it is a nice book to cut your teeth on.

As for me, I am heading back to my comfort zone. I have just started the new Penny Vincenzi and should my sister deign to read this blog, I make no apology!

No comments: