The original Miss Jones

Friday 7 November 2008

Employment or lack of it!


Having had the most annoying morning, when everything seemed to go wrong, I decided to commence on the weekly clean of the house. When finished, I decided to put some toast on for my lunch and look for a topping in the fridge. Within seconds (well maybe a minute or so..) the toast had burned filling my lovely clean house with the smell of burned toast! I was not best pleased.


Placing the second lot in the toaster, I saw it had started to rain, switched the toaster down and dashed out for my almost dry washing. Yes....you have guessed ........ if there is anyone out there reading this drivel........ by the time I got it in the sun and wind were doing well outside and I was left with a pile of damp washing!


I eventually got my lunch together and settled down to watch the Welsh news. The first item on the news was that the construction firm in Tredegar, WAKA, were closing down with a loss of 90 jobs. That small, now rundown, valley town cannot afford this kind of loss. It has already become a sad little place and further lack of employment, I am sure, will never attract investment


The reason for all this is that sales and orders were down by 40% on last year and the firm are moving to Austria!


The second item on the news was that another firm in nearby Gilwern were closing with a loss of 100 jobs for almost identical reasons. This coming on top of the CORUS closure earlier in the week must be a bitter blow to the valleys.


Feeling more disgruntled than ever I finished my lunch and wondered what the great man in the picture above would have made of all this and the state of the valleys today?

No comments: