The original Miss Jones

Sunday 21 March 2010

Shutter Island



It's the first time since 'The Omen' was released in the 1970's that I have left a cinema feeling scared! Me, and dozens of others leaving the Newport cinema on Saturday, were frightened for our own sanity. This was a very powerful film, a physiological mystery thriller directed by Martin Scorsese and based on the novel by the same name, written by Dennis Lehane.

The film has received mainly positive reviews, but I think the ordinary man in the street would need to see it two or three times to fully understand it - but it has to be said - it's a brilliant piece of writing, a work of art. Disturbing definitely and it messes with your Psyche.


I went to see it with my friend thinking it was a piece of cross genre fiction for my next module at college - Gothic crime. It might fit that genre, but I could never write anything remotely like that - or want to. This was real creative writing.

No comments: