The original Miss Jones

Saturday 23 January 2010

Studying Mr. Holmes.




This term at college the subject is crime fiction, and this weeks homework is to draw a comparison between the original perception of Conan Doyle's 'Sherlock Holmes' against how the modern generation see the character. There was only one way to do this and that was to go and see the new film 'Sherlock Holmes'. I mentioned this to my friend who came kicking, screaming and protesting to the cinema with me. (She didn't actually - she offered quite readily!)



At first I thought I wasn't going to like this movie as the opening scenes were very violent (The Director is Guy Richie - I'll say no more, it was typical Richie) but once I got the hang of it being a very modern take on Conan Doyle's character by giving it a good modern twist, I settled into the plot. This adaptation portrays Holmes eccentricities as a genius perfectly, but makes him seem more like a street fighter than a detective. My friend commented that it was more of a James Bond plot than a Sherlock Holmes mystery!

Robert Downey Jr. is superb as Sherlock Holmes, and Jude law is - well, just Jude Law! Oddly enough the villain, Lord Blackwood, is a double in looks for actor Basil Rathbone who played one of the earlier Sherlock Holmes, which was confusing in the beginning, but once I got the hang of the characters it was okay - but how uncanny? Overall I would say I have read much better Sherlock Holmes stories, but I think the acting in this film came through as it's major success rather than the plot.


No comments: