The original Miss Jones

Thursday 7 January 2010

Shopping for a skipping rope !

The Wetlands - January 2010

The picture I have posted today has nothing to do with what I am writing about - well, indirectly it has I suppose, the subject of the snow!



While traffic in Newport is still flowing freely on main roads, the side roads are still treacherous, as they are everywhere else. This morning I had a call from Miss A to say they had skipping ropes in a store near me which had been advertised in local leaflet drops. It was my job to go out and secure us one each as we have been looking for a good skipping rope for almost 6 months!


As long as people drove carefully it was okay. When I got to the Retail Park, the roads hadn't been gritted. I was slipping and sliding all over the place! There was only me and a few other shoppers about, so I asked the manager of the store why the approach road and car parks hadn't been gritted. He said the City council won't grit private roads and car parks (fair enough I suppose) and that retailers would do it themselves, but the council won't sell them the grit because they are very low on stocks. Where else could this happen? Only in the UK ? My friend rang from her Holiday destination in Spain and said they were in the middle of a cloudburst, and another texted from Tenerife to say the weather had been wet all week. Not all sunshine and holiday fun then?

No comments: