The original Miss Jones

Wednesday 7 October 2009

Pottery and Birth days!

This is my plugged and strapped mould ready for pouring.


For the first time in ages pottery was a really busy this morning. I took in my gargoyle that I had made in Bristol back in March. Our pottery tutor showed me how to 'stress' it and I was quite pleased with the result.



Strapping the two halves of a mould together with bands
as demonstrated by our tutor.



Although I have 'poured ' a few times before, we were shown how to do it correctly this morning by the tutor. First you seal all the cracks in the mould with clay until no daylight is showing, and then the slip (liquid clay) is poured into the mould, left for 15 minutes and then poured out. A outer layer will have formed inside, which is left for a week. Next Wednesday we turn the moulds out and they will be bisque fired prior to painting, next they will be glazed. When this is done the final firing will take place.





The stressed gargoyle ready for firing.


,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Other things happening today. My eldest son is 42 years old - Happy Birthday N. Almost an ancient monument x!

My nephew and his wife have a new baby girl. We are all in shock over this, as we were told the baby was a boy. I have often wondered if these predictions are ever wrong - well now I know!

No comments: