The original Miss Jones

Thursday 15 October 2009

Licensings and Commissionings!

It's all change in our parish! The curate has moved to the parish I actually live in where she is now vicar. Our vicar has become Area Dean and the ordinand that was licenced in June of this year, has become our curate! What has all this meant to me?


Firstly, it has not been user friendly to my diet! All these licencing 'Do's' have meant that I am having rather too many wonderful buffets put before me - which on one occasion - at least - I have been tempted, but the others I declined to eat - only because my weight loss has slowed down in Weight Watchers!!!


We are all duly proud of the three people involved and think it was a brave decision by our vicar especially to accept the post of Area Dean as he does have health issues.


The office of area dean (formerly Rural Dean) was an important one in the middle ages, but the office went into disuse after the Reformation until it was revived in 1836 ( so I read ) and is now reorganised in the constitution of the Church in Wales. As Deaneries become more significant in the modern church, this office has again become an important one. It was interesting to hear these facts at the Service of Commissioning.


Congratulations and best wishes to all those who are tackling new challenges, in and outside of the Anglican Church. I will say one thing for our Vicar, he does not shy away from a challenge, he is tackling quite a few in the city at the moment. He has the support of his parishes and I personally wish him all the best.

No comments: