The original Miss Jones

Sunday 29 August 2010

Re-opening of the Transporter Bridge 2010

The re-opening of the transporter bridge was met with much enthusiasm for those of us who have lived in Newport for many years and for people born and bred in the town/city. A few days after the opening my friend and I went over in her car. It is all done electronically now and we were giggling like school girls when recalling the days when it was operated from the gondola itself and we cranked our way over. This is so different. We reached the other side in about 45 seconds. well that's progress I suppose, at least its running again!

I went again as a foot passenger when another friend when we did the dragon trail. It was a blustery day, but I managed to get these photos (below) of the SDR bridge and a view down the Usk from the middle of the river, which you cannot get unless you use the transporter bridge or are on a boat of course!





There is a notice on the Pill side of the bridge showing the charge for the crossing 50p for a car 20p for a foot passenger. Each time I have done it there has been no charge. I wonder why?





Both trips, although very different, were super experiences and long may this wonderful monument stay open!

No comments: